Job Title : Apprentice Groundsman (Sports Turf)
Employer : Vortex Grounds Maintenance & Services Limited
Location : Norwich, NR18 9JG
Position Type : Apprenticeship
Sector : Agriculture, Horticulture and Animal Care
Vacancy Reference : VAC-01816
Vacancy Short Description : An exciting opportunity to begin a career as an apprentice Horticultural Grounds person with a company dedicated to delivering outstanding quality & service to each and every client.
Qualifications Required : Entry onto the apprenticeship is subject to a thorough initial assessment to establish course suitability. Ideally applicants should have at least 4 GCSEs including English and maths at grades 9- 4 for a Level 3 Apprenticeship and 9-3 for a Level 2.
Proof of qualifications will be required before you can be accepted onto the apprenticeship.
PLEASE NOTE: All applicants regardless of entry requirements will be emailed an Initial Assessment to complete as part of the recruitment procedure. This is an online assessment in English and maths and can be completed at your preferred location remotely. Those without the stated entry requirements or awaiting GCSE/GCSE retake grades, will be offered further advice and guidance to support their application and may be invited to complete an assessment at one of the campuses.
Vacancy Full Description : As a Groundsperson, you will be responsible in preparing and maintaining sports surfaces so it can bring the best possible playing conditions. You could be working with but not limited to:
• Use and service ride-on-mowers and equipment.
• Preparing areas for seeding and planting
• Preparing & maintaining planted areas.
• Maintaining all aspects of grounds maintenance for schools, parishes and businesses including establishment and maintenance of hedges, planted areas and playing surfaces.
• Maintain, repair & identify methods of improvement to the condition of sports and playing surfaces.
• Sports line marking out and over-marking.
• Use and service non-powered and hand held powered tools and equipment
• Maintain and develop outstanding professional personal skills.
• Ensuring health and safety procedures are followed at all times.
Number of Positions Available : 2
Working Week : Days and times TBC
Salary : £ 200.00 (Weekly)
Application Deadline Date : 30/01/2022
Possible Start Date : 07/02/2022
Personal Qualities : The ideal candidate must be prepared to work hard in a efficiently. You must be flexible and happy to carry out a variety of different tasks within the role. You will need to work well within a team and have a dedication to always produce work of the highest standard.
Skills Required : To become a Groundsperson, you'll need:
• Practical skills to use equipment like strimmers, mowers, sprayers and hand tools
to develop a sound technical knowledge of sports turf and materials, for example, how to ensure good drainage
• Physical fitness, to do things like lifting and carrying
• Willingness to work outside in all types of weather
• Good observation skills to notice problems as soon as possible
• Number skills, for example, to measure and mark out pitches, and to work out quantities of things like seeds and pesticides
• Good team skills, as well as the ability to work without much supervision
Future Prospects : Fantastic prospects for the candidate the proves both reliable and honest in their work. The successful candidate will be offered further training and opportunities to apply for team leader and management roles.
Training to be Provided : Horticulture/Landscape Operative Standard, Emergency First Aid at Work, Safe use of Pesticides, Functional Skills Maths and English
Other Information : The nature of work can be physically demanding and may require long periods of activity and being on your feet.
The map below shows the employer's location