Job Title : Communications Apprentice
Employer : Felixstowe Town Council
Location : Felixstowe, Suffolk, IP11 2AG
Position Type : Apprenticeship
Sector : Business, Administration, Finance and Law
Vacancy Reference : VAC-01725
Vacancy Short Description : Are you self-motivated, passionate about making a difference in your local community and keen to develop yourself? This may be the perfect position for you!
Qualifications Required : Entry onto the apprenticeship is subject to a thorough initial assessment to establish course suitability. Ideally applicants should have at least 4 GCSEs including English and maths at grades 9- 4 for a Level 3 Apprenticeship and 9-3 for a Level 2.
Proof of qualifications will be required before you can be accepted onto the apprenticeship.
PLEASE NOTE: All applicants regardless of entry requirements will be emailed an Initial Assessment to complete as part of the recruitment procedure. This is an online assessment in English and maths and can be completed at your preferred location remotely. Currently, due to COVID19 we are not offering Initial Assessment appointments at either campus. Those without the stated entry requirements or awaiting GCSE/GCSE retake grades, will be offered further advice and guidance to support their application if required
Vacancy Full Description :
We are looking for a Communications Apprentice to support our communication and community engagement. This is a fantastic opportunity for anyone interested in communications to develop their skills as part of a small positive team, whilst working towards a nationally recognised qualification
• Resolve queries from members of the public and councillors (via email, social media, telephone and in person); taking and relaying accurate messages as necessary.
• To support the development of a communications plan in order to maintain and raise the profile of the Town Council’s social media and online presence with the aim of keeping key stakeholders informed about the work of the Council.
• Provide support for social media campaigns and responses, including filming, photography, writing articles and press releases.
• To respond to media enquiries under supervision, ensuring a good relationship is maintained with media through efficient responses.
• To analyse communications data and local authority-related communications matters, report findings and act on them as directed.
• To assist in maintaining the Town Council website to ensure important and useful information is highlighted to residents.
• To assist in the research and writing of articles for internal and external publications, such as the Town Council’s quarterly magazine.
• Ensure compliance with Council’s policies including Health & Safety, Equality and Data Protection.
• Observe and comply with all good working practices within the office.
• To attend meetings of the Council and Committees as required
• To fulfil the obligations of the Apprenticeship programme
• Undertake other duties appropriate to the grade of the post.
Number of Positions Available : 1
Working Week : Monday – Friday 8am-4pm, 37hrs per week
Salary : £ 351.50 (Weekly)
Application Deadline Date : 09/04/2021
Possible Start Date : 05/05/2021
Personal Qualities : Essential:
A willingness to undertake and complete training as required through the Apprenticeship program.
Meets the eligibility criteria to satisfy the Apprenticeship program.
Pleasant, approachable disposition
Ability to cope under pressure with frequent interruption
An interest in public relations and the potential of social media
Willingness to work evenings and weekends from time to time
Be able to demonstrate a commitment to the principles of equal opportunities and diversity and be able to carry out duties in accordance with those policies
Skills Required : Essential:
Experienced user of social and other digital media
Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
High standard of written English, with a strong understanding of spelling, punctuation, and grammar.
Ability to manage time effectively and deliver to deadlines.
Excellent attention to detail and a keen eye for what looks good.
Ability to work confidentially and to treat issues with sensitivity
Knowledge of local government
Prior experience of customer-facing office administration
Full driving licence
Future Prospects : Apprenticeship is a 2-year fixed-term contract.
Training to be Provided : No regular college attendance required.
Training for all job specific tasks will be given. In addition the apprentice will have the support and guidance of a qualified assessor from the college, who will make on-site visits every 6-8 weeks
Other Information : When applying please bear in mind the location
We anticipate this role will be based from the Town Hall, Felixstowe. You will also be expected, at times, to work from various locations in Felixstowe. Due to the current situation with Covid-19, we have strict limitations on staff working in our offices and most of us are being asked to work from home. If you wish to discuss how that might impact your working arrangements, please contact us.
The map below shows the employer's location