Job Title : Grounds Maintenance Apprentice
Employer : Felixstowe Town Council
Location : Felixstowe, Suffolk, IP11 2AG
Position Type : Apprenticeship
Sector : Agriculture, Horticulture and Animal Care
Vacancy Reference : VAC-01724
Vacancy Short Description : Are you self-motivated, passionate about making a difference in your local community and keen to develop yourself? This may be the perfect position for you!
Qualifications Required : Entry onto the apprenticeship is subject to a thorough initial assessment to establish course suitability. Ideally applicants should have at least 4 GCSEs including English and maths at grades 9- 4 for a Level 3 Apprenticeship and 9-3 for a Level 2.
Proof of qualifications will be required before you can be accepted onto the apprenticeship.
PLEASE NOTE: All applicants regardless of entry requirements will be emailed an Initial Assessment to complete as part of the recruitment procedure. This is an online assessment in English and maths and can be completed at your preferred location remotely. Currently, due to COVID19 we are not offering Initial Assessment appointments at either campus. Those without the stated entry requirements or awaiting GCSE/GCSE retake grades, will be offered further advice and guidance to support their application if required.
Vacancy Full Description : We are looking for a Grounds Maintenance Apprentice to help maintain our allotments, cemetery, and other community sites. This is a fantastic opportunity for anyone interested in grounds maintenance and horticulture to develop their skills as part of a small positive team, whilst working towards a nationally recognised qualification.
• Undertake duties as required within a work programme that ensures the Council’s grounds and sites are maintained to a high standard.
• Working as part of a team to ensure the maintenance schedule is implemented as per seasonal requirements.
• Undertake necessary training as required for manual handling and to operate machinery / equipment.
• Undertake maintenance tasks within the Councils land and properties (and facilities) including minor repair work and general maintenance to ensure a high standard of public service is always provided.
• To promote environmental good practice by taking positive steps to minimise damage to the environment and disturbance to habitats.
• To carry out regular daily duties including tasks such as litter picking, cleaning and emptying bins.
• To support the carrying out of safety inspections of the open spaces and play areas to ensure public access is safe and take corrective action as necessary where appropriate.
• To assist with the staging of events including setting up and dismantling of equipment and stewarding as necessary.
• To work evenings and weekends in line with the business needs of the Council.
• To take day-to-day responsibility for specific tasks with minimal supervision (at times working alone) as instructed by Cemetery Supervisor and Grounds Maintenance Assistants.
• Ensure compliance with Council’s policies including Health & Safety, Equality and Data Protection.
• To fulfil the obligations of the Apprenticeship programme
• Undertake other duties appropriate to the grade of the post.
Number of Positions Available : 1
Working Week : Monday – Friday 8am-4pm, 37hrs per week
Salary : £ 351.50 (Weekly)
Application Deadline Date : 19/04/2021
Possible Start Date : 05/05/2021
Personal Qualities : Essential:
A willingness to undertake and complete training as required through the Apprenticeship program.
Meets the eligibility criteria to satisfy the Apprenticeship program.
A willingness to undertake and complete training in the use of hand and power tools.
Pleasant, approachable disposition
Excellent record of attendance and punctuality
Willingness to work evenings and weekends from time to time
Be able to demonstrate a commitment to the principles of equal opportunities and diversity and be able to carry out duties in accordance with those policies
Skills Required :
An understanding of Health & Safety requirements
Ability to work effectively, both in a team and individually without supervision
Ability to maintain confidentiality
Careful attention to work
Fit and capable of undertaking a variety of physically demanding tasks
Grounds maintenance / horticultural experience
Knowledge of the Town Council’s services
Full driving licence
Future Prospects : Apprenticeship is a 2-year fixed-term contract.
Training to be Provided : Horticulture/Landscape Operative Standard, Emergency First Aid at Work, Safe use of Pesticides,
Soft- landscaping includes the establishment and maintenance of plants and cultivated areas. Hard-landscaping includes establishment of hard surfaces and structures in addition to the establishment of plants in cultivated area.
Other Information : When applying please bear in mind the location
The map below shows the employer's location