Job Title : Apprentice Golf Green Keeper
Employer : Barnham Broom Hotel Golf & Spa Ltd
Location : Norwich, Norfolk, NR9 4DD
Position Type : Apprenticeship
Sector : Horticulture
Vacancy Reference : VAC-01703
Vacancy Short Description : A fantastic opportunity to begin a career as a golf green keeper with one of the most prestigious golf courses in Norfolk.
Qualifications Required : You will have a minimum of GCSE or equivalent grade 3 in English and maths and a science subject
Entry onto the apprenticeship is subject to a thorough initial assessment to establish course suitability.
Proof of qualifications will be required before you can be accepted onto the apprenticeship.
PLEASE NOTE: Those without the stated entry requirements or awaiting GCSE/GCSE retake grades, may be offered an appointment to come into college (Ipswich or Suffolk Rural (Otley) campus) and sit an online assessment to confirm program suitability.
Vacancy Full Description : Maintenance Skills:
A Golf Greenkeeper must be able to:
• Maintain good standards of health and safety for self and others
• Preparing the golf course for play which will include removing early morning dew and debris from the greens, raking bunkers, moving tee markers, cutting new holes on greens
• Preparing and using equipment and machinery to maintain and renovate all turf surfaces within the golf course, including the use of tractors, ride-on machines, and specialist equipment
• Apply turf treatments to help produce quality playing surfaces, including fertilisers and top dressing
• Using a variety of integrated methods to control weeds, fungal diseases, pests and turf disorders
• Maintain and renovate bunkers and other hazards such as water features
• Maintain drainage and irrigation systems
• Preparing ground to establish turf and plants when maintaining, renovating and constructing golf course features
Knowledge and Understanding:
A Golf Greenkeeper must understand the following technical knowledge:
• Identify their role in monitoring and maintaining health and safety within the workplace
• Identification of a number of grasses, weeds, pests, diseases, turf disorders, plants and trees
• The primary aspects of soil and plant biology to include the process of germination – photosynthesis, respiration and transpiration
• The principles of mowing and machine maintenance and their operation
• The need and implications of rolling, verti-cutting, scarification and aeration
• The strategies for controlling weeds, pests, diseases and turf disorders
• How fertilisers, top dressing and chemicals affect playing surfaces
• How course maintenance practices affect the environment
• Basic information technology
• Be aware of the importance of the Rules of Golf and golf course etiquette
• Recognise the importance of environmental and ecological best practice
• The operation of irrigation, drainage systems and their maintenance
The Behaviours of a Golf Greenkeeper:
Golf club employers are very customer focused and require their apprentices to have a set of personal skills and behaviours that will ensure success in their current and future roles as an individual and in meeting the company’s aims and objectives.
The behaviours required by golf club employees will be:
• Have a strong work ethic including pride in work, attention to detail, integrity and time management
• Have a flexible positive attitude to work
• Ability to work as a lone worker and as a member of a team
• A willingness to learn and contribute to their own continuing professional development
• Having a safety mindset for self, colleagues and golfers
• A clear and effective communicator who can use a variety of communication methods to give/receive information accurately and in a timely and positive manner
• Problem solving and effective decision makin
Number of Positions Available : 2
Working Week : 40 hours working various shifts to cover both weekdays and weekends
Salary : £ 166.00 (Weekly)
Application Deadline Date : 26/03/2021
Possible Start Date : 09/05/2021
Personal Qualities : You will be a good time keeper, flexible on hours to meet business needs.
You will need to work both independently and as part of an experienced team.
Skills Required : You will have a passion to begin a career as a professional golf green keeper
You will of course desire outdoor work.
You will understand the importance of communication skills as you may well be asked questions from members on course presentation.
Future Prospects : For the right candidate who proves to be hardworking and flexible in relation to their role along with the dedication to successfully complete their apprenticeship the long term prospects of a full time role are excellent.
Other Information : Please bear in mind the physical nature of this role.
It is outdoor work so at times you will be hot, cold or wet.
The map below shows the employer's location