Job Title : Agricultural Livestock Apprentice (Mixed Farming)
Employer : T W Long (Farms)
Location : Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, Suffolk
Position Type : Apprenticeship
Sector : Agriculture, Horticulture and Animal Care
Vacancy Reference : VAC-01631
Vacancy Short Description : A fantastic opportunity to begin a career in Agriculture within a mixed farming environment.
Qualifications Required : Entry onto the apprenticeship is subject to a thorough initial assessment to establish course suitability. Applicants should have at least 4 GCSEs including English and Maths at grades A-C or 9- 4. Apprentices need to be employed for minimum of 30 hours a week in the industry with a contract of employment.
Proof of qualifications will be required before you can be accepted onto the apprenticeship.
PLEASE NOTE: Those without the stated entry requirements or awaiting GCSE/GCSE retake grades, may be offered an appointment to come into college (Easton or Otley campus) and sit an online assessment to confirm program suitability.
Vacancy Full Description : Livestock Duties
• Feed stock according to instruction, including young milk fed calves
• Assess the condition and behaviour of animals and treat accordingly
• Handle, weigh and record cattle on a regular basis
• Move animals to new grazing paddocks, repairs to fencing as required
• Identify signs of heat and assist with AI program
• Monitor and maintain the care of livestock during and after birth with assistance where appropriate
• Implement and monitor site bio-security (including isolation) as per farm plan
• Prepare accommodation for incoming livestock including cleaning and disinfecting
• Monitor and maintain the health and welfare of livestock
• Administer treatments, where appropriate
• Use appropriate technology to support your role using Farm Matters management software
Machinery Duties (upon receiving guidance to safely operate)
• Straw and silage bale carting
• Grassland management, harrowing, rolling etc
• Seasonal arable duties
• Feeding TMR to finishing cattle using a mixer wagon
• Bedding of Cattle using a straw chopper
Number of Positions Available : 1
Working Week : 30 hrs Mon, Tue, Thu, Fri, 8.30am 5.00pm
Salary : £120.00 Per Week
Application Deadline Date : 20/01/2020
Possible Start Date : 27/01/2020
Personal Qualities : Have a real desire to begin a career in Agriculture
Have a passion for the welfare of livestock
Appreciate the opportunity to experience a wide range of agricultural duties offered with this apprenticeship
Skills Required : Be hardworking and flexible in relation to your duties.
Be attentive to accurate record keeping
Have a minimum of grade 3 or equivalent in Maths and English.
Future Prospects : For the right candidate who proves to be reliable, hardworking, flexible on hours along with the desire to successfully complete the apprenticeship in Livestock Production the long term prospects of a full time position along with further training and development are excellent.
For the right candidate salary can be reviewed depending on age and experience.
Training to be Provided : College Attendance: Yes Block weeks at EASTON NORWICH Campus
Training for all job specific tasks will be given. In addition the apprentice will have the support and guidance of a qualified assessor from the college, who will make on-site visits every 6-8 weeks. There may be the occasional need to attend either the Otley or Easton campus for short training courses and tests.
Other Information : Pay Rates: The current NMW rate for Apprentices is £3.90 per hour with effect from 1st April 2017. This applies to 16-18 year old Apprentices and those aged 19 and over in the first year of their Apprenticeship. For all other Apprentices the Apprentice National Minimum wage appropriate to their age applies. The wage for Apprentices applies to both time spent on the job plus time spent in training. For more information visit: www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
Apprentices need to be employed for a minimum of 30 hours per week in the industry with a contract of employment
Working Week: Mon, Tue, Thu, Fri, 8.30am 5.00pm 30 hour week
Shortlisting/Interviews - Shortlisting and interviews will take place throughout the duration of the vacancy ad. This may mean that the vacancy could close before the published cut-off date should suitable candidates be found.
Things to consider : Please bear in mind the physical nature of this role
You will be in your feet for most of the day.
As this is predominantly outdoor work at times you will be hot cold or wet.
The map below shows the employer's location